A Relaxing Student Lounge

    Hello, in high school I just started taking a class called Design & Engineering. In this class our first task was to imagine a student lounge and think about how to make a student lounge accessible and comfortable for everyone, making it align with SDG 4 - Target 4.a. We went on a field experience to the Harold Washington library and looked at the YOUmedia center which is a center for teens. The space really inspired me because of all the different interests that were accessible around the room. After that, we had to choose a room in our school and use our imagination to transform it into a student lounge. I hope you like my design!
design-milk.com 2022


NM's notes, 2022
    For my design, I decided to turn “the sunroom” that we have in our school into a student lounge for students to hang out, do some work, get some rest, and just overall enjoy. This image was my page for my first brainstorming ideas. This came from walking around the YOUmedia center and talking to my classmates. 

 This room is meant to be a stress-free, peaceful environment for students to enjoy and maybe even take a nap in. There is a nap corner, as well as lovely plants in order to give a fresh calming vibe in that space. Next to the nap space, there are books and cushions for chilling out to read. There is student art and murals on some walls, and bean bags up against some walls. In the center of the lounge, there is a big table with many chairs for students to use as a space to create art or work on homework. In the top right corner, there is a hammock and there are bean bags mostly for friends to hang out and converse. Across from them is a TV. This side of the lounge is more for friends to talk ad hang out, while the other side of the lounge is more the quiet side for relaxing and reading.

NM's design, 2022

    My lounge has tall chairs, short chairs, floor cushions, and bean bags, meaning there are many options for different people's wants and needs for sitting down. The reason there is a quiet side and a talking side is that many people's need for a break means talking with friends, but many other people's need for a break means taking a nap or reading a book. My lounge is a safe space for all students, they may have a snack, read, take a nap, watch a show, etc.

Here is my inspiration Pinterest board! 

 This project was a stepping stone into this new school year. I liked looking at the sunroom and hearing other people's ideas. My favorite part of this was looking at YOUmedia and seeing what other student lounges looked like. It was a struggle to finish it in only a few days, but it was fun. Thank you for reading my blog post!

Comments