Can you prevent Genetic Cancer?

    Hello, I am NM, and in my school, I'm in a STEAM class called Cure. We have been learning about risk assessment and preventative care in this unit. We talked about how Angelina Jolie had a double mastectomy to eliminate her risk of getting breast cancer. We talked to Chris Riley from Tempus, a place where they research cancer and specific treatments for specific cases. We also talked to Dr. Karen Johnson who works with Raby Institute where they heal with Western medicine and ancient traditions. We also recently went on a field experience to Mindworks, a museum with mind-bending activities. For this action project, we are meant to look at a patient's profile and pick a genetic disease that is in their family history. Then we are supposed to make a preventative care plan for that patient. For my action project, my patient's name is “Nancy” and she doesn’t have much history of genetic diseases in her family, but I decided to look at thyroid cancer since her aunt had it. I hope you like my project!

"Thyroid" National Cancer Institute


 

I found this action project enjoyable to make, I really liked looking at how the diseases connected to the patient through the family tree. Researching Thyroid cancer was also interesting since I learned a lot about it. It was a bit more difficult but I also liked that instead of just researching the disease and how to treat it, I had to create a preventative plan for preventing getting the disease. I think it is something that can be really helpful for people. Thank you so much for reading my blog post!

Comments