A Fable - Lennie's Soulmate

Hello, in my school I am in a class called Stories. In this unit in Stories, we have been learning about Fables. We had a storyteller come in to tell us some Fables, and we also read multiple Fables to understand more about them. Fables are stories that teach a moral or a lesson by reading the story. Fables contribute to society by teaching people good morals to live by. For children they are very good for learning the right things to do in life. Fables also are stories that have anthropomorphic characters. Anthropomorphic characters are animal characters that have personality traits of humans, as well as human emotions and characteristics. In Fables the animal characters also have unprecedented characteristics. Which means from the species, it already tells the readers what the character is like, for example the 'wise' owl, we already know it is wise because it is an owl. For our action project in school, we had to write our own Fable that teaches one of the morals that is in our top 3 moral values. The moral I chose to teach in my Fable is "Thankfulness". Anyway, I hope you like my story!



 Lennie's Soulmate

 There once was a Blue Jay named Lennie, a hopeless romantic. She fluttered to trees searching for someone but never seemed to find her soulmate. As Lennie searched day after day, she began to lose hope.

“You’re searching for a mate again? You should wait next spring”, suggested Lennie’s mother.

“No, I’m looking for my SOULmate”, Lennie swooned.

“Okay fine go on, just remember to defend yourself if you encounter a bird that isn’t a Blue Jay. They can be thieves!” Lennie’s mother demanded. 


Hours later, as little Lennie lay on a sheltering crevice of a tree, she heard the sound of rain pattering. She had spent the day searching for her soulmate, so she was too tired to care. But as her eyes rested, she thought she imagined a bird with light brown feathers, falling onto her wings.

“..A Mourning Dove?” Lennie thought. Hollow was no intruder, she wanted shelter from the harsh weather. She was minding her business when rude rain started pouring onto her. 

“Woah, sorry!!” The Mourning Bird scrambled as Lennie’s eyes fluttered open.

As her eyes focused, she realized she wasn’t dreaming.

“Wait, you’re real? Are you my soulmate”? Hollow blushed.

“I-I’m just looking for a place to stay.” she stuttered.

“YES! You can stay with me!” Lennie declared with excitement. “I found a nice place right? Stay here!” Hollow shifted.

“Okay, if you insist.” Lennie smiled.

“I’m Lennie, what’s your name?” Hollow sighed.

“I’m Hollow. Can we sleep now?”

"Sure! Goodnight!” said Lennie, and happily fell asleep. What Lennie didn’t know was that Hollow struggled to sleep. Since Hollow couldn’t sleep, she heard when the rain stopped. She flew out the tree, and gracefully landed on an electrical line.

“HolloWW” A bird flew next to her.

“Did you sleep? Where did you stay when it rained?” The male questioned.

“Brother I am fine! I stayed with a bird named Lennie.” Hollow retorted.

“A bird named Lennie? It better not be a Blue Jay, those can be vicious!” The brother spat.

“What!? But she was nice...” Hollow mumbled. The brother flinched.

“Wait. Did I hear right? You stayed with a BLUE JAY? They will betray you as soon as your back is turned!! You better stay away! Hollow’s brother insisted.

“Okay! I’ll stay away!” Hollow shouted back.


Lennie was naive. She only wanted to stay by Hollow’s side. She longed for the Dove and lovingly called out for her every day. Hollow always awoke before the sun was up to stay away. Hollow flew not far when Lennie was again by her side.

“Hi Hollow! I have something today.” Lennie sang. She pulled out a french fry. Hollow’s eyes glistened. She loves french fries.

Hollow looked down, grabbed the french fry, and flew away. Lennie was hurt.

“Why is she flying from me? I follow her everywhere and give her my heart, but I get the same response every time!” Lennie stayed on the tree as Hollow flew away. “Does she not like me? Should I not give her gifts?”, she wondered. “Is Hollow...not my soulmate after all?” Lennie doubted.


 As Hollow flew away, she thought.

“I can take her gifts, and fly away. Then brother won’t get mad.” Hollow looked back. “Wait..why isn’t she following me?”, she landed on a branch, then stared in Lennie’s direction. “Is she really not coming? ...Of course not!! I’ve been rejecting her!! I should stay with her if I want to! And she’s been hurt by me this whole time! I should THANK her! Every day she has kept me company, given me gifts, and given me a place to sleep! All I do is fly away!” Hollow began to cry. She dropped the french fry and flew toward Lennie. “Lennie!!! I won’t leave you anymore!! I love you!!! Thank you for everything!!!” Hollow cried.

“Hollow?” Lennie’s eyes widened.

“Wait, you said thank you? You..mean it? You really did appreciate me?!!” Hollow smiled and flew onto Lennie’s wings.

“YES!! Thank you, Lennie!!! For everything!” Muffled, Lennie responded,

“Thank you for coming back, Hollow. I love you too”. They embraced, knowing that from then on they would be happy together, forever staying by each other’s sides.



The moral of the story is to thank the people that make you happy. Being thankful is something so many people should remember. I believe that the more you are thankful, the more you are content. Expressing thankfulness to others makes them feel better with themselves too, as well as happiness for you. 


"Lennie with a french fry" N.M, 2021




Comments