The Life of Jalapeños










This term in my school I have been learning about agriculture and the history of

food. The purpose of this project was to learn about the history of our food that

we eat so that we don’t just eat it without knowing where it came from. First

thing I did for this project was talk to my family about our family traditions

related to food. Then I started researching about the foods that we eat a lot in our

family, and lastly I made a script and video explaining what I learned through

the first person of the food I was talking about. I learned that some of the food

we eat traditionally now, have been eaten traditionally by my grandparents and

their grandparents. I learned that food is domesticated somewhere first, and

then spread to the closest places, and then finally to everywhere else eventually.

My class goes on field experiences, where we go to places about what we

are learning about. We have these incredible opportunities, like one time this

term we went to Metropolis Coffee for a field experience. For this project I have

chosen jalapeño because my family is a big fan of spicy food and jalapeños. I

chose them because jalapeños are peppers that we have almost every day and we

will never stop using them because they are delicious. A way that jalapeños relate

to my heritage is that my family is part Mexican and Mexicans are known for

liking spicy food. You could say that my family got our spicy taste from our

Mexican ancestors. I will be talking about how these connections to jalapeños are

made, and how so many people all over the world started eating jalapeños. I will

also talk about the jalapeños origins, and where they came from in the writing.

Thank you. I hope you like my video!





Script:



Hello my name is jalapeño. (ha-la-PEN-yo), and I have been used in food for


spiciness for a while now. I personally love the level of spicy I am, because it


makes so many people want to try me. My center of origin is Mexico. 1,000 years


ago was when people in Mexico found me and raised me like their own child. I


was very thankful. So I come from Mexico and what is now Central America. An


interesting fact about me is that they named me after Jalapa, the capital city in


Mexico. It was nice there but what happened next was pretty cool. People started


putting me in commercials so that I could get out to more people outside of just


Mexico. Lots of people wanted to eat me when they saw all the commercials


about me. I think it’s because of the rumors of how I am spicy but not too spicy. I


never left Mexico, but I expanded to other countries. This happened


approximately 100 years ago now. It feels like yesterday. I have become a big


part of multiple families' lives. I have been eaten in so many meals, it makes me


so happy. Families love to eat me in multiple ways and in all different kinds of


dishes. I have been passed down by many generations and that makes me feel


very special. A food I have been used in a lot is salsa(sauce), where I'm chopped up and


joined by friend foods who are also chopped up. Some families love eating me on


the side of every meal they have. That is personally my favorite way to be eaten.


The fact that I was spread to many people is great because there are families who


don’t live in mexico that have mexican heritage. They want to eat me too and


they are usually the people that eat me with every meal. These families also may


have colombian heritage, so they mix the two foods and make for example


colombian empanadas with salsa with me in it. They also may make colombian


arepas and add hogao with me in it. “Arepas are a type of corn pancake made out


of white corn dough. They are grilled, and served with toppings such as butter,


cheese, and other toppings. Usually for breakfast. Empanadas are made with the


same corn dough but made into turnovers filled with savory fillings and fried


until crispy. They are served with special homemade spicy sauce.”(Isabel,


external interview). This is an excerpt of an interview with a professional


Colombian Mexican. I love being a part of family traditions.







 I interviewed my mother because the food I want to focus on is really important


to my mom and it is on her side of the family. I know that my family has a


tradition of making empanadas and that my mom's mom taught her, and her


mom taught her, etc., so I really wanted to learn more about what my mom


thought about that tradition sort of thing. I learned that pretty much everyone in


my family that has had/made empanadas love eating or making them. I actually


also learned that my Uncle Bobby is a really great cook. I didn’t know because I


never thought about who made the food when I had a feast when visiting family.


My family tree says a lot about how we pass down the food we make because of


how much we like it and how much we want to share the tradition. My mom's


side of the family is Colombian, and that is how the tradition of making


empanadas started. 




Citat

“Jalapeños: Nutrition, benefits, risks, & more.” (n.d.). Retrieved April 22, 2021, from https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/health-benefits-jalapenos

Dawn, & Peppergeek. (2020, November 30). Jalapeño Peppers - everything about them - Peppergeek. Retrieved April 22, 2021, from https://peppergeek.com/jalapeno-peppers/

Bauer, E. (n.d.). Tip: How to check for the hotness of jalapeños. Retrieved April 22, 2021, from https://www.simplyrecipes.com/tip_how_to_check_for_the_hotness_of_jalapenos/#:~:text=The%20stretch%20marks%20are%20also,the%20hotness%20of%20the%20pepper

WorldCrops. (2017, February 08). Retrieved April 22, 2021, from https://worldcrops.org/crops/jalapeno-pepper





Comments