Gardening is GRAFFITI

                                         










Hello! I am NM and I have been learning with my class about agriculture, ecosystems, gardening, ect.. We’ve covered how to calculate area, what an ecosystem is, the cycles of different things, how to graph inequalities, and more! For our Action Project this class we are to grow three different plants. I believe planting is definitely a kind of art. We watched Ron Finley’s talk, and he grows plants where they should be grown. “Gardening is my graffiti. I grow my art” (Ron Finley, TED talk). I love this and I think that gardening is most definitely like graffiti because it is done in places to make that place more alive and beautiful. Then we went to Plant Chicago where we learned more about ecosystems and nutrients. We learned about companion planting (written by Fukuoka), which is planting plants of the same family together so they benefit each other. I would really like to do companion planting with leeks, chives, and spinach. One of the principles that Fukuoka stated that I agree with is no cultivation. I believe that we don't have to control the plants we grow so much. Something I made sure not to do to my little plants is cultivate them. People think we are helping plants but plants grow perfectly on their own and we don’t have to do much. By the way, did you know a garden is an ecosystem? An ecosystem is a physical environment, that’s functioning together as a unit, with living organisms. Anyway, I want to show you more about my plants that I am growing for this Action Project! The three plants we are growing each have a different soil. One with “bad soil”, which is just soil from outside, one with “good soil”, which is fertilized soil for gardens, and the last with “bad soil” but we add nutrients to it. My question about this experience is which plant will grow healthier? I think it will be the one with the fertilized soil, because it is made for gardening. I have to write down the first hypothesis I had about the plants, but now I have some doubts about that answer. I think that maybe it is wrong but I don’t know yet. So, I have three containers for my three plants. I have an origami box that I made for the plant with the “made good soil”. Then I have a medication container for the plant with the “bad soil”, and last I have a slime container for the plant with the Fertilized soil.













Container #3 :    

Diameter: 2 inches. 

Radius: 1 inch

Area = ½ * 3.14 * 1^2

A = 2 * 3.14 * r^2

A= 2 * 3.14 * 1

A = 6.28

A = 2 * 3.14 * r * h

A = 2 * 3.14 * 1 * 2.5

A = 15.7

A = 6.28 + 15.7

Area = 21.98 inches^2


V= B * H

V= 4.5 * 2.5

Volume = 11.25 inches^2


Container #2 :


Diameter: 1 inch 


Radius: .5 inch


A = 2 * 3.14 * r^2

A = 2 * 3.14 * .5

A = 3.14

A = 2 * 3.14 * R * H

A = 2 * 3.14 * .5 *2.5

A = 7.85

A = 3.14 + 7.85

A = 10.99


V= B * H

V = 4 * 2.5

Volume = 10 inches^2


Container#1 :


Length: 3 inches


Height: 3 inches


A = L * H

A = 3 * 3 

Area = 9 inches^2


V= W * H * L

V = 1.5 * 3 * 3

Volume = 9.5 inches^2







Comments