Housing in a Chocolate Factory!?

Hello, I go to Global Citizenship Experience lab school and am in a Rhetoric class. In this class, we just finished our first Unit, "Purpose". In this Unit, we have been learning all about rhetorical appeals and devices, and how to use them in rhetoric. We also talked a lot about different audiences, and how it is essential to always keep in mind what audience you are directing your rhetoric to. We also talked a lot about affordable housing how it works and why it's important, we even went on a field experience where we got to talk to someone who works in affordable housing. For our Action Project in this Unit, we were told to research about housing issues in our Ward. Then we were supposed to create a flyer about a housing issue in our ward using the rhetoric we learned, urging our neighbors to take action and reach out to our Alders. Since I live right by The Mars Chocolate Factory, I immediately heard about them closing the facility in this location. There is so much land that we need to decide what to do with now, and I thought that including housing would be a great thing for the community! So my flyer is about that, and my audience is the people in my neighborhood. 

Galewood neighbors.org, 2022

There is a lot about rhetoric that I learned during this Unit. We learned about rhetorical appeals; Pathos, Logos, and Ethos. Pathos appeals to the audience's emotions, Logos appeals to the audience's logic, and Ethos is your credibility or trustworthiness. We also learned and practiced using rhetorical devices like metaphors, analogies, similies, anaphoras, etc. In my flyer below I used an analogy and a metaphor, both for getting a warm feeling when appealing to my audience's Pathos. The top half of my flyer is where I used my Ethos and Pathos, I used ethos by expressing my love for the neighborhood and how long I've lived there. I also used Pathos by trying to get people to relate to what I love about the neighborhood, hopefully, I got people a little bit in their feels. On the bottom half of the flyer, I used Logos and more Pathos. I wrote about facts we know about the situation and using those facts I also attempted to use Pathos. I even used rhetoric through colors and images, I used brighter and warmer colors for the part talking about our neighborhood, and I used darker saturated colors when talking about the logistics. This is my finished flyer, I hope you like it!
Housing in The Mars Chocolate Factory by NM


This Action project required a lot of research, a lot of patience, and a lot of editing and writing. The most difficult part of this project was probably the writing in the flyer, because of how much rhetoric I felt I needed to add. The formatting and editing of the flyer were really quite difficult and time-consuming, but that might've had to do with my perfectionism when it comes to visuals. Overall I am very proud of what I have done for this project, I'm glad I took the time to make something I'm happy with. I hope you also liked my flyer, and thank you for reading my blog!




Citations:

         Channick, R. (2022, January 27). Mars Wrigley closing nearly century-old chocolate plant on Chicago's West Side. Chicago Tribune. Retrieved October 2, 2022, from https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-mars-wrigley-closing-chicago-chocolate-plant-20220126-7xoqzf7ffnfkpfantzfculkfxe-story.html

         Higgins, B. (2022, September 6). West Siders share their visions for Mars Chocolate Factory Site. Austin Weekly News. Retrieved October 2, 2022, from https://www.austinweeklynews.com/2022/09/06/west-siders-share-their-visions-for-mars-chocolate-factory-site/

         Join today! Galewood Neighbors, Inc. - Home. (n.d.). Retrieved October 2, 2022, from https://galewoodneighbors.org/


Comments