Learning Outside...

In my school we do experience learning, where we try to do the most hands on things when learning. We also try to go to many places outside of the building that has to do with what we are learning in school. I think that this is the best way for students to learn. It can be pretty fun and lots of students learn much easier this way, and remember more this way. 

Classrooms have changed throughout the years and I would say they have just recently gotten better. In class I learned a bit about what classrooms and school looked like when it first started. I can see now how the seating placement and arrangement can change the environment of the classroom a lot. There has been so many classrooms that stayed the exact same over so many years. I think that there is a certain image of a classroom that everyone thinks of when someone mentions school. The image that everyone pictures has been true for so long. To most people who haven't given it much thought, that classic image of a classroom would probably seem great. The classroom would seem great because it is organized and symmetrical. It would also make sense because the students are sitting together and the teacher is standing up facing the students at the front of the classroom. This seems efficient, but is it actually the best for the students to learn and feel comfortable? Recently I have realized that students learn much better if they are having a conversation rather than being talked at by a teacher. I have learned that it is easier for students to have a conversation if they are comfortable, and if the teacher is sitting down with them. For me personally, I need to be comfortable in order to learn and be able to pay attention to what we are talking about. If I am not comfortable I can't focus properly. 

We went on a field experience yesterday where I was very comfortable. It was fun too and it was relaxing too. We went to Millennium park, and we laid down on the grass under the Pritzker Pavilion. At that time they were playing different pieces of unique music, and we were supposed to write a bit about our favorite piece we heard. I was able to happily write my thoughts, since I was relaxed outside and enjoying the music. I liked that field experience very much. 



Comments