Epic food substitution experiment!

Hello! I am NM, and in my class we have talked about multiple things related to food. We talked about substitution, emulsification, conversion factors, the three primary nutrients and three macronutrients. We did multiple experiments, like one time we did an experiment with making porridge. We made one with just flour and water, and the other one with a bunch of different ingredients. Then we watched the porridges to see which would leaven (rise) more, etc.. We did multiple experiments with substitution, and we learned how to note the dependent and independent variables in the experiments. We also of course made sure to make a question and hypothesis before each experiment. We have gone on field experiences, like the time we went to Uncommon Ground! There we got to see their rooftop farm, and we got to talk to them about their business and plants.


For our action project we are supposed to find a recipe and substitute one of the ingredients for an ingredient that has the same purpose, for example the leavening agent of the recipe. I’ve decided to substitute the protein in the recipe I chose. I am going to be making something called "cheeseburger onion rings". These cheeseburger onion rings are made with ground beef for the protein source. Since I am vegetarian, I changed the recipe to have textured soy protein. I will be substituting the textured soy protein with vegan refried beans. That is the protein substitution I will be doing. My friends are doing cool substitutions too! A.A.L. will be substituting the emulsifier by replacing eggs with dairy free yogurt, and L.A. will be substituting the leavener by replacing yeast with baking soda + vinegar for pancakes!



I ended up having a lot of fun with this experiment! The making, the substituting, the tasting, and the forming the results in the scientific method. Both types of the cheeseburger onion rings were really good too! The things I learned about substituting different things in food is very helpful. I know I will be using those skills so much when making dishes and pastries for myself and other people.









citations: 

https://tasty.co/recipe/cheeseburger-onion-rings 

https://www.trifectanutrition.com/blog/plant-based-protein-sources-to-stock-up-on 

Comments